The International Baccalaureate® (IB) online curriculum centre (OCC), a key resource for educators at IB World Schools, includes several examples of extended essay titles.
These highlight the diverse range of topics covered by International Baccalaureate® (IB) Diploma Programme (DP) students during their extended essays.
Some examples are:
- “An analysis of costume as a source for understanding the inner life of the character”
- “A study of malnourished children in Indonesia and the extent of their recovery after a period of supervised improved nutrition.”
- “Doing versus being: language and reality in the Mimamsa school of Indian philosophy.”
- “The effects of sugar-free chewing gum on the pH of saliva in the mouth after a meal.”
- “To what extent has the fall in the exchange rate of the US dollar affected the tourist industry in Carmel, California?”
- “What level of data compression in music files is acceptable to the human ear?”
Also available in the OCC, the Handbook of Procedures for the Diploma Programme has guidance on choosing a subject for the extended essay.
The OCC is only available to existing IB World Schools.
You can also purchase examples of essays in the IB Store. These essays fulfil the requirements for an ‘A’ grade in the extended essay.
If your school is not one already, learn how to become an IB World School in order to implement the DP.
Extended Essay Reports and Exemplars
Please read the reports before reading the essays. The reports contain valuable information directly from IB examiners on what was successful and what was not. Also remember that just because something was successful in an exemplar, it does not mean that this is how the essay must be written. There are many different ways to get a good mark on your extended essay and it is important that you find the approach that best suits the paper you are writing. The exemplars below are only meant to clue you in on the type of analysis examiners like rather than providing a stylistic from that you must follow.
Group 1 - English
Extended Essay Report:English
English:Exemplar 1, Exemplar 2, Exemplar 3
Group 2 - French and Spanish
Extended Essay Report: French (not available), Spanish
French:Exemplar 1, Exemplar 2, Exemplar 3
Spanish: Exemplar 1, Exemplar 2, Exemplar 3 (coming soon)
Group 3 - Geography, History, and ITGS
Extended Essay Report:Geography, History, ITGS
Geography:Exemplar 1, Exemplar 2, Exemplar 3
History:Exemplar 1, Exemplar 2, Exemplar 3
ITGS:Exemplar 1, Exemplar 2, Exemplar 3
Group 4 - Biology, Chemistry, and Physics
Extended Essay Report:Biology, Chemistry, Physics
Biology:Exemplar 1, Exemplar 2, Exemplar 3
Chemistry:Exemplar 1, Exemplar 2, Exemplar 3
Physics:Exemplar 1, Exemplar 2, Exemplar 3
Group 5 - Mathematics
Extended Essay Report:Mathematics
Mathematics:Exemplar 1, Exemplar 2
Group 6 - Art and Music
Extended Essay Report:Art, Music
Art:Exemplar 1, Exemplar 2, Exemplar 3
Music:Exemplar 1, Exemplar 2