Joint family is the big part of the life; no one can live without the prosperous of their family. Everyone needs the family support due to any problem. When family comes together, then nobody can break it from togetherness. Everyone wants live with that family who helps in any problem at every walk of life.
“Love your family. Spend time, be kind & serve one another. Make no room for regrets. Tomorrow not promised & today is short.”
A joint family is an undivided family. Many members involve in the joint family where such as the one generation live together in an ordinary house.
A joint family is that family where some persons are living with together such as grandparents, father, mother, and children under the one roof.
A form of the joint family system in the mind of a member for example:
- Some members of the joint family share the some common rights in the household property.
- In the joint family, some members living with the expectation of making some financial contribution to the common fund.
- All homemakers of the joint family made the food in the shared kitchen.
- Family members make their daily expenditure from the ordinary family funds.
In some of the joint family such sons never get distant after marriage from their family, he lives together with their wife and children among the another family member on the one roof.
Generally, in the every joint family the subhead is the eldest member of the household. They restrict to the whole member by their power and functions. That chairman of the family is a trustee. He handled the economic and social decisions on behalf of the family.
There are some advantages and disadvantages of the joint family.
Advantage of joint family
The family always supports to the each and every family members. Whenever any problem is situated, then rarely other people helps, but family always supports each and other family members.
When the family is lives together, then in every festival creates so much pleasure and brings much happiness. Every moment of any festivals like Holi, Diwali, etc. people enjoys so much when they spent more time together and every movement of life.
Every family has the mutual adjustment and understanding. Naturally, those who are benefited by the generosity of others remain obliged and grateful.
Helps to better study of the children
In the big family, their kids study in the group according to their age matching. Naturally, the cousin’s study together, play together, quarrel together and even punished together.
Understanding during marriages
In marriages also the grooms for marriageable girls become a concern for all the elders in the family. Even if a daughter of a junior brother selected by someone because of her beauty or brilliance, he would not agree to her marriage until her senior cousin sister is married.
Minimum subsistence of the living
The necessities of all the family members taken care. Each member is guaranteed the lowest subsistence for the living.
The subjects in a joint family are self-imposed on its members. The head of the big family almost becomes its patriarch. The family prospers squarely if the patriarch and the other constituents observe the norms soundly and healthily.
The joint family system is the finally prevails the spirit of oneness.
Disadvantages of the joint family
There are different types of the disadvantages of the joint family, which is following such as:
Misbehavior in the partners
The misbehaviors’ of the partners in the joint family exploits the goodness and principled. It happens to only the income of the household.
Some of the joint family have many types of crook members, who exploits to the other innocent member of the household and also do the torture to them.
Money value among members
Almost, many people have this mentality to low that individuals who have little earned. High earning members often insults the small receiving members.
Burden in the joint family
The cost of education has gone up high. The high earning members often want their children to study in costly schools, but they don’t want to share the burden of the sons of the other officers of the family.
To great families, most of the important decisions made by the head of the household. Since all the individuals within the family don’t get the opportunity to participate in the main decisions of the family, they often feel lost or develop a feeling of inferiority complex.
The family is better than nuclear family due to the above advantages. But young generations are moving to towns and metro cities for searching of jobs, and then they live there. Due to space crunch in their home, income level and other reasons they can’t live with their parents, grandparents, etc.
The separation of families was evident in the joint families themselves. It happens when feelings of generosity, charity, and fellow-feeling not balanced by high moral line, character, and farsightedness. Joint family can be run successfully if the members remain committed to each other. The feeling of togetherness and selflessness is the essence of joint family.
The meaning, advantages and disadvantages of joint family has been discussed in this article. Hope that you will find it useful.
What is the meaning of Joint Family?
A joint family (also undivided family, joint household, extended family system) is a large undivided family where more than one generation live together in a common house.
A joint family is a form of family where the grand-parents, father, mother, and children live unitedly under one roof. In such form of family system, every member:
- is expected to make some financial contribution to the common fund,
- share common rights in the household property,
- eat the food made at the common kitchen, and
- make their daily expenditure from common fund.
In such form of families, the son doesn’t distant himself after getting married. Instead, he lives with his wife and children in the same house along with his other family members.
The eldest male member is usually the head of the joint family. His power and functions are like that of a trustee. He is entitled to take economic and social decisions on behalf of the family.
Also read: Importance of Joint Family
Advantages of Joint Family
The advantages of a joint family are more than one can count.
- It is the best pattern of living that is most conducive to the growth.
- It is based on a principle of fair economy. It holds it as a rule of creation that all men are not equal. Naturally it imposes a kind of unwritten discipline that those who are more able economically shall share some of the burden of those who are not.
- The joint mess, naturally, runs on an understanding of mutual adjustment. Naturally those who are benefited by the generosity of others remain obliged and grateful.
- Similarly in a big joint family the study groups of boys are formed according to their age matching. Naturally the cousins study together, play together, quarrel together and are even punished together. As a result there grows in them a feeling of camaraderie that is free from any discrimination of one being a full brother or a cousin.
- In marriages also the grooms for marriageable girls become a concern for all the elders in the family. Even if a daughter of a junior brother is selected by someone because of her beauty or brilliance, he would not agree to her marriage until her senior cousin sister is married.
- The basic necessities of all the family members are taken care of. Each member is guaranteed the minimum subsistence for living.
- It supports all the members of the family. Old and elderly people are respected. Proper care is taken for old, widowed, physically weak and disabled family members.
- As such the disciplines in a joint family are self-imposed on its members. The head of the big family almost becomes its patriarch. The family prospers squarely if the patriarch and the other constituents observe the norms soundly and healthily.
- Finally, the spirit of oneness prevails in a Joint family system.
Disadvantages of Joint Family
But it has disadvantages too.
- It often creates parasites who love to feed on other’s income. They exploit the goodness and principled behaviour of its partners.
- Sometimes some crooked member of the family plot to torture and exploit another innocent member of the family.
- High earning members often insults the low earning members.
- The cost of education has gone up high. The high earning members often want their children to study in costly schools but they don’t want to share the burden of the children of the other members of the family.
- In large families, most of important decisions are made by the head of the family. Since, all the individuals within the family doesn’t get the opportunity to participate in major decisions of the family, they often feel lost or develop a feeling of inferiority complex.
The separation of families was evident in the joint families themselves. It happens when feelings of generosity, charity, and fellow-feeling are not balanced by strong moral line, character and farsightedness. Joint family can be run successfully if the members remain committed to each other. The felling of togetherness and selflessness is the essence of joint family.
1. What is a Family?
Category: Indian SocietyTagged With: Family System